My grown up Christmas List has shifted as I age. Being in my 40s offers a different perspective, I have seen many firsts and lasts… Moments that had good and bad that taken my breath away. What I have learned is that life is its not good or bad – it is being comfortable in both opposites at the same time.
Often the moments that take your away your breath also offer the breath of life.
September this year was one of those months that while my heart was broken, it was restored at the same time. We lost someone very close to us. That someone knew how to make me laugh, how to get me going and losing him broke me into pieces at the same time made me stronger. That someone was my father in law. Nothing prepares you when you lose someone so very close to you. The moments before he left his physical form offered so much love. I remember sitting beside him and massaging his feet, and telling him how much I love him and will miss him. He asked me to come close to him so he could tell me something in my ear, and in that moment my heart was breaking because I knew the moments to follow would be me letting go of him. He whispered to me the words of love and thankfulness. Those words brought tears to my eyes, and at the same time I just wanted to hold on and not let go. We never really know when the end may come. That is why when we are here, we have to embrace all that is in the NOW.
My grown up Christmas is really a wish for all of you reading this today to really embrace the NOW.
- Live in the moment and get comfortable with pain and joy. Joy lifts us up in the moments where we feel pain. In the moment where I said good bye, I had the memories of joy that came from time with the ones I love.
- Offer a hand to help or a smile when you feel like you can’t. Remember that all that you give out comes right back to you. How ever hard it may be to muster up the strength to do this , it will help to lift you up as well.
- Recognize all we have is right now, try to immerse yourself in what is happening right now and remember that the past is over, and the future we have no control over.
- Take time in your day to do something small or large for someone you don’t know. In life these little things can mean big things to others, and the more we can show love to one another, contributes to growing love around us in this world where we are exposed to pain every day. It brings HOPE.
- We are human, it is often very hard to remove judgement, but remember, we never know what others are experiencing in their lives…. And for that reason try to give grace whenever you can.
Love is really what makes this world go around, don’t take for granted a single moment in showing love to one another. We never know when the last time may come.
My grown up Christmas list is very simple, take every moment to love. May you have many blessings over your Christmas.