We all have experienced these feelings. We push the event downward, or we avoid talking about it. But did you know that by sharing we can heal and let go of the shackles that are holding us back from becoming all that we were meant to be? Step out in Faith.
Do you have a story stored deep inside that needs to find its way out? Is it a work of God in your life, or an experience that He has delivered you from or given you the strength to endure?
We all have stories that define and refine us to make us new. Our stories can help others, and are powerful tools for building Gods Kingdom.
We may at times in our lives feel like we are in a storm, but the storm happens for the good of His kingdom. God calls us to share and it is by sharing that we defeat the evil one and spread the good that has happened in this life. Your story can bring hope, joy and lift the fear whether it is for you or another.
- “You intended to harm me, but God intended it for good to accomplish what is now being done, the saving of many lives.” Genesis 50:20 (NIV)
- “But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes upon you. And you will be my witnesses, telling people about me everywhere—“ Acts 1:8 (NIV)
- “Let each generation tell its children of your mighty acts; let them proclaim your power. I will mediate on your majestic, glorious splendour and your wonderful miracles. Your awe-inspiring deeds will be on every tongue; I will proclaim your Everyone will share the story of your wonderful goodness; they will sing with joy about your righteousness.” Psalm 145:4-7 (NLT)
We need to realize in this life we are not in control of “what” happens. The “what” is all up to God, but there is one thing we can control – we can control our response. If we choose to respond by leaning on God and to respond by opening up and sharing, supporting, and loving one another, can ignite a power beyond all understanding.
- “Listen, O Israel! The LORD is our God, the LORD alone. And you must love the LORD your God with all your heart, all your soul, and all your strength. And you must commit yourselves wholeheartedly to these commands that I am giving you today. Repeat them again and again to your children. Talk about them when you are at home when you are on the road, when you are going to bed and when you are getting up.” Deuteronomy 6:4-7 (NLT)
God wants us to share, to support, to love. He wants to direct our paths, and speak the world through us. The devil comes to steal and convinces us that our story is not worth sharing, and wants to keep us silent.
Self-Discovery and Story Framing
Questions to navigate through as we discover the stories deep down inside of us:
- What were the moments in my life that created changes in me as a person? Who was involved? (Ponder)
- Did these moments change the direction of my life? If I was to sum up my experiences into one word what would it be? (DISCUSSION)
- If I was to sum up my experiences into a statement or sentence what would it be? (DISCUSSION)
- What verse in the bible has impacted me the most on this journey we call life? (DISCUSSION)
- Who was I before these moments occurred?
- How did I meet Jesus in these moments of my life? What did I learn?
- What was the “good” that came out of these moments?
Sharing My Story
It may feel outside of your comfort zone to share, or you may feel unsure. Remember that the devil comes to steal; are the words that you are hearing – words of love or self-condemnation? Some key points to remember when you choose to share your story:
- Sharing my story builds understanding of Jesus’ power to save and heal.
- Sharing my story builds others and brings down the walls we build inside to protect.
- Sharing my story can be based on my level of comfort (written, to let go of the feelings inside, or with friends/family). I can pray for direction here.
- Sharing my story will help myself and others.
“Not only so, but we[a] also glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured out into our hearts through the Holy Spirit, who has been given to us.”Romans 5:3-5 (NIV)
If you are unsure about how much you want to share, pray, give it to God and He will direct your paths. The voice inside us is powerful and can build others up. Shine your light.
Today take the first step, pause and pray, and write down 2 people you can share your story with:
You are also welcome to share your story with me, you can email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
May you be blessed.