I receive a text message, immediately looking at my phone,I choose to respond. Emails trail in, approximately 100 a day when looking at both work and home. The phone rings, appointments, schedules and my time is all used up. I feel frazzled fall is here again. The calendar shows sports, events, schedules, the balancing act begins with work and life. My inner self is suffocated – I need some time for me. We can all relate to this circumstance at various times in our lives, how can we balance it all? How can we open up some space in our day?
Have you thought about being hands-free to provide some space and time?
Hands-free (Wikipedia) an adjective describing equipment that can be used without the use of hands (for example via voice commands) or, in a wider sense, equipment which needs only limited use of hands, or for which the controls are positioned so that the hands are able to occupy themselves with another task (such as driving) without needing to hunt far afield for the controls.
Can we broaden this definition of being hands-free? An adjective describing letting go and allowing God to be in the driver’s seat.
A lot of items that fill my day really are beyond my control, it is how I choose to respond that makes all the difference. As I look ahead in the day or week, I see so much to deal with, but perhaps I need to focus on the right now.
Do you know that we are called daily to be hand’s free and let God lead? Have you ever noticed when you try to control your schedule, the kid’s reactions, and every facet of your life that things feel out of control?
Freedom comes from knowing that God has your back, and that He is in the driver’s seat. He also has your best interests at heart. He tells us to come to Him if we need rest or be anxious in nothing at all. If you are running on empty, He knows how to fill your tank. So how do we take conscious steps while letting Him lead? I believe this is the real question. What are some actions we can take to support letting God lead?
- Take time to reflect, pause and renew – take time for prayer, time for God, and time to rest. Renew your spirit. It is times where we feel zapped because we have overextended ourselves that cause us the most discontent. Make this a number one priority in your day, take the time. This one action will make all of the difference. Present your requests to God, acknowledge that He is in the driver’s seat and you trust Him.
- Decide you can be physically hands-free. Take a break from texting, looking at your phone and responding. Don’t respond out of obligation –take some time and then respond when you want to.
- Be Present. This is a big one. Really live in the NOW, take it all in and breathe.
- Do not plan ahead. This is a tough one for many, and something I am learning. I am finding when I don’t look to far ahead, things flow a lot easier.
- Realize you don’t need to be everything to everyone and everything. I think many of us have such high expectations of ourselves.
I am learning to be humble in my thoughts, and to simplify my life. Recently I have felt like I am changing within. The change is frightening and exciting all at once. I am seeing pieces of me leave and other pieces being refined. I believe this is a process we all experience in our lives. For some the process is quick, for others the process is a long one. God makes all things good.
I see His good work in showing me how life can be so much better, if I trust Him, Lean on Him, Love others as I would love myself, and Let go of fear, and anger. I also am realizing I am beautifully made, which is a bit of a hard pill to swallow for a woman that constantly sees where she can change. Thank-you Father for being so patient with me again and again. Thank-you for showing me what needs to adjust in my life.
Dear Lord God, there are so many moments of complete bliss, that I feel full of your glory. I know that this is what you want for me. The sunshine in my children’s eyes, the sound of laughter, and the glow of smiles, the love of friendship and family. These are the moments that I cherish and hold close and never want to let go. Many times I feel like I am falling short. I feel the pressures of this life, to be the best, to climb the corporate ladder, to participate in the race and get caught up in it all. I want to feel complete peace, even in the face of trials or adversity. I need you to lead me, without you I feel so lost. Lord, define my path for me, guide me, help me to make the choices that are best for me and those I love. I want to be full of your peace within. Help me to be hands-free. You are in control. I pray for this in Jesus Name Amen.
Be blessed my friend, how can you become a little more hands-free?